About Lake George & the USA
Lake George Area Average Weather
|Month||Temp. (min)||Temp. (max)||Temp. (avg)||Precipitation|
Did you know?
- The highest monthly average temperature in Lake George for July is 69 degrees.
- The lowest monthly average temperature in Lake George for January is 22 degrees.
- The most monthly precipitation in Lake George occurs in October with 5.8 inches.
- The air quality index in Lake George is 31% better than the national average.
- The pollution index in Lake George is 55% better than the national average.
The American Flag
The Flag of the United States of America is a symbol of freedom and liberty to which Americans pledge their allegiance by standing at attention, facing the flag with their right hand over the heart,
“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
The flag consists of 13 alternating red and white stripes that represent the 13 original colonies, and 50 white stars on a blue field, with each star representing a state. The colors on the flag represent:
- Red: valor and bravery
- White: purity and innocence
- Blue: vigilance, perseverance, and justice
The U.S. monetary system follows the decimal system. The basic unit is the dollar “$”. The most widely used bills are in denominations of $1, $5, $10 and $20. Occasionally, a bill of $2, $50 or $100 may be seen. Each dollar is divided into 100 cents. Currency in the form of a coin is: 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 10 cents (dime), and 25 cents (quarter).
The following is a list of average prices:
HOW FAR YOUR DOLLAR WILL GO:
- Cup of coffee $1.50
- Espresso-based Drink $3.50
- Hamburger, fries & drink $9 – $11
- Lunch at a restaurant $10 – $15
- Movie Theater (cinema) $9 – $14
- Letter stamp in U.S. $.49 cents
Most states in the U.S. charge a sales tax on tangible personal property and services, such as clothing, restaurant and fast food meals, services, newspapers, books, toiletries, etc. The sales tax varies; in Lake George Region it is 7%. Sales taxes are added at the register, so be prepared for your bill to be more than the price tag on an item.
Tipping, also known as gratuity, is giving a small amount of money to another person for a service.
These are the most often tipped services:
- Waiter/waitress 18% of food bill
- Barbers/hairdressers 18% of bill
- Taxi drivers 10% – 15% of fare
- Food delivery persons No less than $5
You should never tip police officers, physicians, government employees or university employees. It may be interpreted as a bribe, which is illegal. You do not tip bus drivers, theater ushers, museum guides, salespeople, employees at fast food restaurants or hotel clerks.